It is natural for a gardener to take pride in gardening equipment, and of course the first place belongs to the lawn mowers.
By means of these useful machines a skillful gardener can create miracles on his lawn areas. That is why most home owners try to keep their lawn mowers well maintained and in perfect condition.
However, a machine is just a machine and all sorts of problems can occur. Perhaps it would not be comfortable for you to call a professional or to take your lawn mower to the nearest service center. In this case it is important to know some rues of the DIY (do it yourself) lawn mower repair.
DIY Lawn Mower Repair For Common Problems
Among the most common lawn mower problems there are:
- Broken starter ropes
- Plugged or damaged air filters
- Problems with shaft spinning
- Starter clutch
- Overheated engine
- Clogged belt drive
- and so on.
Keep reading this article in order to find out how to fix some of them.
Let's start with a starter clutch.
It will make a very irritating sound before starting.
- Unscrew the plugs and remove the engine's top cap.
- Most probably the cause of your start clutch is a stuck pawl.
- It helps to move the wheel forward and stops it from turning backward.
- Everything you have to do is to put the pawl on its place and fix it there.
- After that adjust the engine cap and make sure it is properly fixed.
In case you have to deal with plugged or damaged air filter, most probably you will have to replace it.
A damaged air filter prevents your lawn mower from starting is a smooth fashion.
- If the air filter is only plugged and you do not see any serious damages, it might be helpful to try to wash it with a soapy water.
- Make sure to wipe all the foam and to put a little bit of motor oil on your air filter.
If the belt drive of your lawn mower is clogged, you will not be able to move the mower in any direction.
It is usually caused by the cut grass which get plugged inside the belt drive.
Under such circumstances no repair is required, everything you have to do is only to clean the belt drive thoroughly.
But in case the belt drive is broken, you will have to replace it: it can be hardly fixed.
Make sure to take some extra care of the engine: without exaggerations it is like a heart for your machine.
If you want it to perform smoothly, it has to be regularly checked and well maintained.
In case the engine starts shutting down while mowing,
- check the air filters, flywheel and connecting rod.
- Overheating of the engine can be caused by carbon buildup: in this case the best solution of the problem is a nice cleanup.
More on Lawn Mower Troubleshooting related to lawn mower engine problems
Remember, the main reason of poor performance of a lawn mower is its low maintenance. If you take good care of your machine, most of the problems can be effortlessly solved by using “do it yourself” methods.